Thursday, July 28, 2011

All The World Will Never, Never Know...


We went to the beach house in the summer of 1989. On our first few trips to the beach my Uncle Joe and his family were our "beach house neighbors", on that particular trip my Uncle Roy and his family joined us as well.

Five-year-old Jeremy became an instant admirer of his Great-Uncle Roy, and so did two-year-old Ashleigh, because... whatever or whomever Jeremy admired, Ashleigh also admired, because she deeply loved and admired Jeremy. I'm pretty confident that both of these children captured their Great-Uncle Roy's heart as well.

It was during that trip that Uncle Roy sang a little song from his childhood to Ashleigh as we sat on the beach together. Little did we know at the time that it would become her "theme song" of sorts, and although it had been sung to children for decades before her birth, it was almost as if it had been written... just for her.

Uncle Roy is gone now, but I hope that somehow he knows how significant that little song was (and still is) to us, and how grateful I am that he sang it to her. It has a sweet little tune and these are words:

A is for apple
B for bear
C is for Ashleigh on a chair
All the world will never, never, know
the love I have for my Ashleigh-O
my Ashleigh-O
my Ashleigh-O
the love I have for my Ashleigh-O


From that day forward her nickname was Ashleigh-O. This blog is all about Ashleigh, how she came to be, and how she still is... and how the world will never, never know the love I still have for my Ashleigh-O.

5 comments:

Tiffany said...

This will be a wonderful record that your family will treasure forever. I got choked up just reading the song and your last line 'introducing' the new blog. You are wonderful--I'm so glad we're friends!

Lilian said...

Very nice Les. I can hear uncle Roy singing it as I read it. I look forward to reading this new blog and I will definitely share it with my boys that did know her, and the ones that didn't get to know her in this life.

Morgan said...

I know I will love reading this blog. My mom has been telling me stories lately about her. I cry every time. I know that we weren't together for long, but she still has a very special place in my heart. I look forward to reading this blog and hearing more about her. Thank you!

Lesley said...

Thank you Morgan. You have always had a special place in my heart because of Ashleigh. I am sure you will be seeing your name and your pictures on this blog :-)

Bea said...

Cute picture!!!
That was a fun trip!!!!
And she sure took to Uncle Roy
And he was a "pushover"